Bratsigovo Bracigovo Bratzigovo Брацигово

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Chestita Baba Marta!

On March 1st Bulgarians celebrate the coming of spring by making red and white bracelets made of string and tying them around the wrists of their family and friends. These bracelets are called martinitza's. They wish them a long and healthy life. They don't take off the bracelets until they see the first stork, which signifies the beginning of spring. I guess it's a little like ground hogs day. This holiday is called Grandma March.

I decided to visit the elementary school and orphanage on this day. The kids sang for me and tied the little red and white bracelets around my wrist. I knew this holiday was coming but I really didn't know how it was celebrated. Next year I will be prepared to hand out some martinitza's as well


Mnogo zdrave! Mnogo Shtactie! Lots of health! Lots of bliss!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home