Bratsigovo Bracigovo Bratzigovo Брацигово

Monday, April 18, 2005

Guveche!!!

Here in Bulgaria a lot of dishes are cooked using clay crock pots. A couple weeks ago I bought six little versions of these clay crockpots. Now I make six meals at a time. One of the traditional recipies used with these clay pots is called guveche. The best way to make guveche is using one of these clay crock pots, but you can substitue another pot that can be used in the oven.

To make guveche cut up pieces of your favorite sausage (cooked). You can use italian sausage, hot links, any of the Aidell's sausages would be great. Place them on the bottom of a buttered pot. This is the first layer. Now add a layer each of chopped onions, fetta cheese, diced tomatoes and peppers. Sprinkle with your favorite yellow cheese such as mozzarella or swiss. Add some savory and other spices of your choice. You can also add olives or hot peppers if you like. This is a good dish to be creative with. Now add tomato juice or water. The concoction should be like soup or stew in consistency. Cover the pot and put it in the oven at about 300 C. When everything is just about cooked, take it out and crack a raw egg on top. When the egg is done, so are you!

I've also made rice with these pots. Last night I put a little tomato sauce in the bottom, rosemery, and a mixture of other spices. I poored chicken broth in the pot and then added an appropriate amount of rice. It was really really good. Try it and let me know how it was!

1 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I don't have a guveche pot or a dutch oven, I figured out I could probably use the ceramic insert to our crock pot!! I will have to try a few things. Post some more recipes, even the more traditional ones if you haven't posted it already. If you haven't try to get a recipe from your host mom or the "Hippies" and send to me. I liked those.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home