Bratsigovo Bracigovo Bratzigovo Брацигово

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Bankia Seminar

Last week I attended a seminar hosted by Peace Corps in a little city close to Sofia called Bankia. So, if I was a little late responding to your emails now you know why. All the volunteers in Bulgaria from my group were there along with their counter-parts. About a little over half of the sessions were useful. We learned about how to work together more effectively, how to find funding, grant writing, and some administrative stuff. Aaaaaa! I get tired just reading it.

When we arrived, my counter-part said, "hey, this is a hospital." Actually it is a rahabilitation center. They had a little gym, with a suana and a mineral water pool. The showers in the bathroom were great. Some of the volunteers said it was the best shower they had taken in a while and one volunteer said he took a shower everyday that week because the shower was so nice.

The most useful stuff that came out of the seminar was in the form of advice from other volunteers. It's amazing what things some of the volunteers are attempting to accomplish. I caught up with one volunteer who has started a band , is teaching biology at the local high school, and is trying to find funding to open a disco. This was not the plan when he moved to his town. This is why I believe you have to keep an open mind when you get to your site and be willing to help all the people, organizations, and firms in town. What may start out as a secondary project can very easily turn into your primary project. I also met another volunteer who is so fed up with her organization that she has broken away and only works on "secondary projects." What you accomplish doesn’t necessarily depend on your experience or know-how, but more so on the situation you have been placed in at your site. I know a very experienced and talented volunteer who has not been able to accomplish anything at her site as of yet.

Every night the volunteers were able to reunite with each other. One night we went to a country bar and grill that not only played country music, but served American food as well. I was going to get the steak, but they ran out, so I got the pork chops. They weren't bad and neither was the BBQ sauce. Another night we celebrated two birthdays and Thursday night the guys went to Sofia to celebrate a bachelor party, while the girls stayed at the rehab center to celebrate the bachelorette party. I think it's funny. When she gets older she can say she had her bachelorette party in rehab.

Sofia was fun. I don't usually hang out in Sofia. It's a big town and a little too crazy for me, but when your with people who know where they're going, it isn't so bad. I had never been to a bachelor party before. We went to a strip club and did all the typical things you do at a bachelor party. It was a little crazy at times, but what happens at a bachelor party stays at the bachelor party, right? We have to protect the innocent...lol...and especially the groom.

I was hoping to get Pizza hut while I was in Sofia, but that didn't happen. The group I was with opted for Indian food instead. This is why I have no money. Peace Corps volunteers have expensive taste. The food was really good though. I hear they actually import the cooks from India. Next time I got to Sofia I am going to make a triple stop; first to Pizza Hut, then KFC, and finally Subway for the ride back.

When you visit my blog feel free to leave comments. It's nice to see who has stopped by. And if you have a blog yourself, it's a great way to advertise it.

Here is a letter from Peace Corps about Peace Corp.

10 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I randomly stumbled across your blog and have enjoyed reading about your experience in BG. My wife and I were volunteers in BG8 ('98-00). We both think our time in BG were the best of our lives. Good luck and thanks.

Josh Brewster

 
At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
The link to the music did not work - I even added a "g" to the "en" at the end with no success.

Please, update the link for the music ASAP.

Do you know Alexenia Dimitrova, yet? She finds and reunites people lost all over the world, due to prior communism in Bulgaria.
On March 21, 2004, after a lifeitme of searching and a prior article in Chasa 24 over a decade earlier, she FOUND MY FAMILY IN BULGARIA!

I am reading your blog for an American's perspective of being there and look forward to going ASAP, too!

I'd LOVE to read from you on SAFETY and HEALTH CARE and DETAILS of a successful trip -as well as how much one REALLY should have in pocket for a month there.

Susana Atanasova
Life should not be a journey to the grave, trying to arrive in an attractive, well preserved container! Rather, skid in sideways, a glass of chardonnay in one hand, strawberries in the other, body totally used up and worn out, exclaiming, "Woo-hoo! What a ride!"
LIFE is to be LIVED - FULLY!

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Matthew Wahlgren said...

Hello Susana thanks for the email. I am realizing that the music link
doesn't seem to work from the states. I don't know why, but it works just fine here. Try data.bg and tell me what happens.

I don't believe I know a Alexenia Dimitrova. I know Aneta or Ani
Dimitrova. I think this is a different person though because the Dimitrova I know is an English teacher. Ha ha!

Where do you live now? In America?

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have the "pleasure" of having Susana in San Bernardino, California and I can say from experience that she definitely is living life (and wearing down that body) to the fullest. I think her theme song is "Livin' La Vida Loca". That raw food doesn't seem to be working......

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some one please give Susana a mirror...........if you dare seven years bad luck. Ouch, she is one homely women......in real life anyway.

Another Berdoo resident who has seen this creature in person.

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding Susana's diet....she must be deficiant in one or more amino acids.

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got an idea, how about soaking some almonds in water to get the most nutrients.........

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a disappointing and cowardly way to try and discredit a multiple award-winning person actively dedicated toward personal and local community betterment and commonly seen at all manner of meetings and other functions in our area, always trying to do something positive and good, like the hundreds of trees she is leaving planted all across San Bernardino parkways and parklands as her legacy and the thousands of people she's personally helped without asking anything in return, or accepting anything in return when offered. I know because I'm one of the people she's been kind (Look it up, you could use a lesson in it.) enough to help when I needed it and she refused my HOA's offers of thank you gifts, including a gas card! Do you have any idea what she said? She said we could use it to help someone else. That's the ugly person you refer to?
What award has Congress ever bestown upon you?
What about State?
What about County?
What about City?
She has multiple awards from all of these and more.
Her efforts at providing enduring good for all are what earned them for her, not her good looks. If anything, despite her looks and that's not to say I agree with you that she's ugly because she may not be a beauty queen but there's something about her inner beauty that shines through when she's busy talking about the solutions to problems that makes me pick being stuck on an island with her over you sight unseen.
To hear you tell the tale, a woman can only accomplish things with her looks. That speaks volumes to the type of person you are.
In any case, you took your anonymous pot shot and could do no better than make snide remarks about her personal appearance.
That speaks volumes to the type of person she is.
At least she's always trying and doing things that are positive and productive. I notice she hasn't even bothered to take time to respond to you. Unlike you, negativity isn't her thing, obviously.
You may fancy yourself more beautiful on the outside than her, but that fades with time for every body.
It's what's inside that counts and in that she's got you bested in the beauty department over and over again.
When we're nothing but dust, those trees she plants will keep adding beauty to the world while your words, and mine, will be ancient history.
I'll signoff just as anonymous as you, but not at all as embarrassingly ugly.

 
At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sure, she seems ok at the beginning, but you quickly figure out what a whacked out broad she really is! She was asked to resign a commission seat for her antics.

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, like how new are you to San Bernardino? Seriously, you didn't know she is like totally the only person able to claim simultaneous service to 2 commissions for a long, long time?
Finally, someone capable was found to serve one of them and she was able to resume a more simply superhuman level of life after doing the superhero routine for this gimmegimmegimme town far longer than could be asked of anyone else!
See? I watch city council, too!
LULZ!
Oh, and BTW, she has never been disgraced and is the only person to ever receive endoresements from all local media.
Those are just some of my notes
Yes indeedy! I take notes and suggest you do the same.
You worry too much about appearances because you have no substance to offer - she's not in a beauty contest, so looks don't matter she's out to make the world a better place not junk up Bulgarian Blog space with your persistent cyber stalking Try keeping notes on these people you obsess over so much - I mean it is more than just thoughts about Susannah that fill your head, right?
Just asking cause man, you sure come across as the obsessed stalker type yapping on & on on a Bulgarian thread of all places.
You know all those people saying get a life to you?
They can't all be wrong.
Get a life and enough with your negativity already.
Susannah, you ever stumble on this I got one thing for ya - Thanks for the letter of recommendation after I volunteered on one of your plantings - who knew giving away my time like that would lead to a blessing in my workworld - Thanks, Sussanah - And remember, Ugly on the outside, pretty on the inside - where it lasts and counts!
Ignore the haters out here, but I know you don't have time for them anyway!
LULZ!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home