Bratsigovo Bracigovo Bratzigovo Брацигово

Thursday, March 10, 2005

One Bulgarian Rose

The Womens day celebration on Tuesday was pretty cool. Yes, we had the typical traditons of dancing, including the horo. Fortunately that guy who always tries to start a dance competition with me, didn't dance much. He made up for it on the the bus ride back. He likes to ask me dumb and really obscene questions. Not to get an answer, but just to make fun of my youth. My Bulgarian is getting better though, so he better watch out. You don't walk away from a job at a grocery store for 6 years without learning how to be a smart ass. Thankyou Safeway. LOL!

This time instead of that one lady dragging me out on the dance floor, I was the one dragging people out on the dance floor. Ha ha! I guess I figured if I can't beat her, join her.

Like Christmas, without notice, I was asked to do an impromptu speech. Thankfully my Bulgarian is a little better now. I was interupted many times with cheers. They asked me to dedicate a song to all the women at the party. I chose "One Bulgarian Rose." This song is one of pride among many Bulgarians. The restaurant didn't have the song though, so I lead them in singing it. Actually they sang it and I tried to sing it. When we finished singing, the mayor handed me a rose. Yes, it was one of those kumbaya moments. I guess my speech wasn't so bad.

1 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger Veera said...

Wow, you sure sound like you had a lot of fun man. I wanted to join the Peace Corps too, but then after looking through, found out that they only accept US citizens. Have fun and keep posting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home