Bratsigovo Bracigovo Bratzigovo Брацигово

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Who's the Gringo?


(View from my apartment)

Last night I went out with some friends to a couple Disco's in Pazardjik. Pazardjik is the closest decent sized city to me. When I was talking to my friends, who are Bulgarian, I told them that I made mexican food for dinner the other night. Most Bulgarians have never had a good Mexican meal. However, they are familiar with the ethnic group. This brings me to another interesting opposite. As soon as I said the word Mexican, they said, "ah, gringos". I couldn't help but laugh at that one. I had to ask for confirmation to make sure of what I heard. I heard correct. These guys said that Mexicans are sometimes called "gringos" in Bulgaria. I told them that in the US I was the gringo. I am not sure if they understood.

I finally got internet in my apartment this weekend. I had to upgrade to Windows Xp. It's cool. My computer works a lot better now with XP.

3 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Blogger Eddy said...

Hey Gringo,

This is great that you're online!! Glad to know you're representing my people's food ;-) I'll get to cyber live in another country, through you. It sounds like things are going well and interesting. We just had the 6th All Stars Show and it was a success. Not sure if you're a fan but I went to the 49er's game on Sunday and we lost, we are at a disgusting 1-8 season!!!!

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey matt, that reminds me, ever been to that "tres gringos" bar in san jose? we'll get some beers next time. later, miracle-man.
-charles

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Matthew Wahlgren said...

No I've never heard of "tres gringos". Sounds kind of funky!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home