Bratsigovo Bracigovo Bratzigovo Брацигово

Monday, November 08, 2004

Time to find friends

I have been at my site for two weeks now. The past two weekends a volunteer has visited me. Not this time. So I decided this weekend I had to go out and find some friends. A little after 8pm on saturday night, after building up some courage, I went to this street where young kids are always hanging out. I walked up to one of the groups and introduced myself. We started talking and it went well. They invited me to a party........at my house. I ended up hosting my first Na Gosti. Good thing I made some Tikvenik earlier. Tikvenik is a pumpking pastry. It was my first time making it, but it turned out good. Everyone liked it. We listened to music and talked. Young people in Bulgaria seem to talk more about politics and serious issues than in the US. One of them said he would help me with starting Junior Achievment. We'll see.

I ended up not being able to get internet. The installation guys don't know how to configure the settings for Windows ME.


2 Comments:

At 1:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt,

Isn't funny how all of the people in your photographs look like people you pass every day on the streets here in America?

The country side is beautiful and kinda takes you back and makes you less stressed. Anyway it looks great.

Your dad and I have been playing at golf for the past few months and I want to thank him for ruining my life.

Take care

Lee aska First Sergeant, Salley, Butthead or HEY-you

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Matthew Wahlgren said...

That's interesting you say the people in the pictures look like everday people in the US. I think the same thing all the time. I'll look at someone and think "if they were in the US everyone would think they are American".

On the other hand there are some people that look like the guys from old communist times. And old ladies on the street that make me think of old world times in Italy or something. With the scarf over there head. It's a very mixed culture. Some poeple here live very much in the old ways, but others are very modern. This is a place where cars are driven, but horses pulling carriages are seen very frequently. Everyday I hear the clapping of horse hoofs out of my apartment window. I kinda like the sound.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home