Bratsigovo Bracigovo Bratzigovo Брацигово

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Trainees gone

(David, John, Nick, Will, Meghan, Me)


The trainees in my town are finally gone. Life in Bratsigovo as I knew it has returned. They were here for a few months working on language and technical training, and living with local families as an integration component. They were really a great group to be around. I'm suprised how well we connected.

They departed at a perfect time. I think they were ready to get to their permanent assignment and cities they'll be living in for the next two years, and I was ready to get back to mine. It's nice that things are back to normal in Bratsigovo, but at the same time I'll miss having them around to hang out with.

I read a head-line in a popular Bulgarian newspaper introducing the newly graduated group of volunteers. It read, "48 yankees to work in Bulgaria for two years without pay." That must sound really weird to Bulgarians. I myself have spent many hours over the past year explaining what I do and what a volunteer is. I think my counterpart has just figured it out. It's hard for Bulgarians to understand why I would want to work as a volunteer and give up all the money I could be making back in the states. Before I came to Bulgaria I received similar expressions from Americans when I told them my future plans. I guess in this instance Bulgarians aren't so different than Americans. To be honest it's really hard for me to explain the reasons why I decided to join the Peace Corps. You either get it or you don't. I think anyone who volunteers in any capacity will understand what you get out of it.

Well good luck to the newbies. Dobre Doshli!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home