Bratsigovo Bracigovo Bratzigovo Брацигово

Monday, October 17, 2005

Through the Fog


(In the Rila Mountains)

Last week Peace Corps held a conference for trainees from my group. We learned more about development work, discussed some interesting issues in Bulgaria, and had more language classes. On one of these days I organized the annual Peace Corps bazaar to raise money for the orphanage committee I work with. The money we raise is used to provide small grants to volunteers for orphanages in their area.

After the conference I went on an organized trip with some of the current Peace Corps trainees in Bulgaria to the Rila Mountains. We hiked through the mountains for a couple hours with a guide before reaching are hija. A hija is basically a hotel for hikers. It was a cold hike with snow sprinkling down much of the time. The scenery was beautiful though. Lots of trees and soothing smells. We spent the night in the hija playing cards and enjoying a few drinks.

When I woke up in the morning the fog was dense and I decided not to go on the hike past the seven lakes. I figured what's the point if I won't be able to see them. I don't hike for exercise. I hike to see what I can find out there. For me, hiking is about the journey not the trek.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home